Games Market and Production Methodology
Lecture and Case Studies
- History overview of the games industry
- Overview of the Computer and Videogames Market
- The 5 Year Cycle of the Games Industry and its consequences
- Developer Structures and Publisher Functions, Relationships and Complications
- Financing, Pitching, Developing, Mastering - Broke: the death cycle of developers
- Producing a full game title from start to finish
The past of years of the gaming industry has been chaotic and everchanging. Publishers come and go, developers come and go. It seems there is constant change and chaos. Looking back into the history of the market students will learn that events in this industry are cyclic and have a heavy influence on company structures and strategies of developers and publishers. Students will get an insight of strategic thinking of developers trying to sell their game to publishers and into publishers minds trying to sell into an everchanging market.
The second part of this lecture will give an overview of the classic relationship between developer and publisher and how both are structured. Students will get an insight about game production and its ties into financing, design, market and quality considerations.
Students should walk away from this two day lecture with an overview of the computer and videogames industry so that when faced with business tied into this industry they know about its partially unique properties.